Microsoft office is feature packed while WPS office comes with limited features. WPS office is able to support many platforms including mobile while Microsoft office is limited in this regard. However, Microsoft is more popular among users.
WPS is an acronym for Writer, presentation, and spreadsheets. This office package was known previously as Kingsoft Office. The office suite supports Microsoft Office, IOS, Android OS and Linux. It has been developed by Zhuhai based Chinese software developer. WPS office suite is made up of three primary components: WPS Writer, WPS Spread Sheet and WPS Presentation. The basic version can be used for free. A full featured professional version is also available for subscription. This product has been successful in China. It has also seen development under the name of WPS, and WPS Office.
Kingsoft was branded as KS office for a time in an attempt to gain international market. Since the launch of Office 2005, the user interface is very much similar to WPS Office. The office suite supports native Kingsoft formats in addition to Microsoft Office formats. WPS office has a high performance and is a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Office. WPS office also comes with most features that a user needs to accomplish his work. It also has features like, save to pdf, mail merge and track changes.
WPS Office also supports a cloud element and has 1 GB free storage, which will help in auto syncing your files to online storage. It can be useful to save small text documents. These features give WPS office an edge over other free office suites. WPS Office only requires minimal system configuration, which means it can support even the oldest versions of Windows PC. Although WPS Office comes with all these great features, the amount of cloud storage has yet to be defined. Another issue is the pricing model of the WPS Office suit.
- Owner : A product of Kingsoft
- Release : 1990 (Mac) & 1992 (Windows)
- Latest Version : 2015
- Operating System : Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS
- XML Support : Import support
- Open Doc : No
- MacOS : No
- Word Processor : WP Writer
- Spreadsheet : WPS Spreadsheet
- Presentation : WPS Presentation
- Note Taking Software : No
- Email Client : No
- HTML Editor : No
- Collaborative Software : No
- Online Editing : No
Microsoft office was developed by Microsoft as applications and services. It was first announced in 1988 by Bill Gates. The first version of office came with Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel. Over the years, it has developed to include many applications. It also comes powered with features like spell checker, visual basic for application scripting and OLE data. Under the Office business application brands, Microsoft has created an office development platform for business. In 2012, Softpedia reported that Microsoft Office is being used by over a billion users all over the world. Microsoft comes in different versions and targets different end users. It is also capable of working in different computing environments. It’s mostly used version of Microsoft office is the desktop version. It is available for PCs that run Windows and the MacOS operating system.
- Owner : A product of Microsoft
- Release : 1988
- Latest Version : 2016 (16.0) (Windows) ; 2016 (15.4.0) (MacOS)
- Operating System : Windows and MacOS
- XML Support : Yes
- Open Doc : Windows and Office 365
- MacOS : Partial
- Word Processor : Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheet : Microsoft Excel
- Presentation : Microsoft PowerPoint
- Note Taking Software : Microsoft One Note
- Email Client : Microsoft Outlook
- HTML Editor : Microsoft SharePoint
- Collaborative Software : Microsoft SharePoint
- Online Editing : Office offline